Winter has left my lawn scraggly and brown; its cold winds piled leaves on the front step. The only green is the one struggling daffodil yet to bloom and the small weeds coming up around it. Spring is here and it’s time for a good spring cleaning.
I actually enjoy working in my yard in the springtime. I like seeing the grass turn green and the the small buds on the trees transform into leaves. Small weeds poke up but they are easily plucked out in the moist spring mornings. The smell of the first lawn mowing reminds me of warm summer fun.
Marriage has seasons too. Marriages can go through winters where connection is cold and stormy disagreements prevail.
Spring is the breeze of hope that nudges away the chill and grime of winter. Springtime can bring dramatic transformation to your marriage.
You can experience new growth and excitement in your marriage this spring.
Time for your spring cleaning.
Tend to your marriage; let some sun in and water it.
- Clear out the garbage from winter. Apologize for your role in the disconnection and conflict in your marriage. Acknowledging the dirt including your mistakes and neglect must come before forgiveness. Then when you commit to forgive you can begin to reestablish trust and intimate connection.
- Dust off your poor selfish attitude. Find ways to serve your spouse. Give them a break from the responsibilities of their day. Intentionally surprise them with a small gift or do something they enjoy, even if it’s not your favorite.
- Get out in the sunshine again. Have fun together. Smile. Move. Take a walk. Seek adventure again. Laugh together. Get her some flowers. It won’t take long before you start to notice the warmth of connection return.
- Listen for the sweet sounds of spring. Tell your spouse what you love about them every day. Start an affirmation habit. Nothing will revive a cold marriage as fast as sincere words of affirmation.
- Take in the fresh air. Stop avoiding and really ask how your spouse feels. Transform stale talking into meaningful conversation. Dream together. It may feel risky to deepen your communication but when you do your marriage will burst with new life.
What is your favorite part of Spring?